Form 8453 is an IRS document that must be submitted with your tax return. It can be used for several different purposes. One of the main purposes of this form is to collect the necessary documents for your tax return.
For example, if you filed a Form 1040 return, you’ll have to attach certain documents. These documents can be either directly attached to your return or submitted as PDF files. To make the process easier, you can scan Form 8453 into a PDF file and transmit it electronically.
Below, you can learn how to fill out Form 8453 for the tax year 2022.
How to Fill Out Form 8453?
The first thing you need to know about IRS Form 8453 is that it requires at least one or more attachment forms to file. The following list includes all the forms required for Form 8453 filing eligibility.
- Form 1098-C: Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes (or equivalent contemporaneous written acknowledgment).
- Form 2848: Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (or POA that states the agent is granted authority to sign the return).
- Form 3115: Application for Change in Accounting Method.
- Form 3468: attach a copy of the first page of NPS Form 10-168, Historic Preservation Certification Application (Part 2— Description of Rehabilitation), with an indication that it was received by the Department of the Interior or the State Historic Preservation Officer, together with proof that the building is a certified historic structure (or that such status has been requested).
- Form 4136: attach the appropriate certificates and, if applicable, the appropriate reseller statements for biodiesel, renewable diesel, and sustainable aviation fuel claims.
- Form 5713: International Boycott Report.
- Form 8283: Noncash Charitable Contributions, Section A (if any statement or qualified appraisal is required), or Section B, Donated Property, and any related attachments (including any qualified appraisal or partnership Form 8283).
- Form 8332: Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent (or certain pages from a divorce decree or separation agreement that went into effect after 1984 and before 2009).
- Form 8858: Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Foreign Disregarded Entities (FDEs) and Foreign Branches (F.B.s)
- Form 8864: attach the appropriate certificates and, if applicable, the appropriate reseller statements for biodiesel, renewable diesel, and sustainable aviation fuel claims.
- Form 8949: Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets (or a statement with the same information) if you elect not to report your transactions electronically on Form 8949.
Once you’ve attached at least one of those forms above, you can file your Form 8453 by following the step-by-step instructions below:
- Enter your name and address, and don’t abbreviate your country name if you live outside the U.S.
- Enter the box number on the P.O. box only if the post office doesn’t deliver mail to the home address.
- Enter your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Don’t attach any Payment Form to Form 8453 (Instead, you can mail your payment forms by April 18, 2023).
- Use this address for Form 8453 and all the other Payment Forms:
Mail Form 8453 to Internal Revenue Service Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 Receipt and Control Branch Austin, TX 73344-0254