What is an EAD Card?

An EAD card allows foreign nationals to work legally in the United States. Unlike a visa, it does not need an employer sponsor. The card also gives the holder lawful permanent resident status.

The US government has strict laws governing the right of visa holders to work in the country. The EAD card is an important document in this regard, as it lets employers know that the person has the permission to work in the country and has been verified by the authorities. Many people need the EAD card to earn a living and support their families while waiting for their green cards. It is also possible that someone’s EAD card may expire, and they need to reapply for one. In some cases, the privilege to work comes with a particular visa status, and the applicant does not need to apply for an EAD at all. But, the process is relatively straightforward for those who do need to apply. 

How to Obtain an EAD Card?

The EAD can be obtained by filing Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. This form can be filed online or in person, depending on your category of eligibility. USCIS recommends that you apply as early as possible to ensure that your EAD does not expire. It is also advisable to keep copies of all documents filed with the EAD and any requests that are made by USCIS. If you are a refugee or asylee, you may not need an EAD as you already have the right to work in the U.S. However, if you need to renew your EAD or replace a damaged one, you should follow the same steps as any other applicant.

EAD Card Renewal
What is an EAD Card? 1

EAD Card Renewal

However, an EAD card is not permanent and expires at some point. Fortunately, renewing or replacing an EAD card is relatively straightforward. EAD cards are only valid for one year, so it is important to file a renewal well in advance of the expiration date. Applicants should submit their renewal application no later than 120 days before the current EAD expires.

EAD Card Processing Time

The general EAD Card Processing Time is 7.5 to 14.5 months, depending on the case type and USCIS processing center. In the meantime, it is still possible to apply for an EAD by mail if you have a valid visa or green card and meet all of the requirements. Alternatively, Boundless can help you with your EAD application through our streamlined process and get you through this difficult time faster. Contact us today to start your application. We have offices across the country and a team of detail-oriented immigration attorneys to assist you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button