A W-9 is a form used to request a taxpayer identification number. Usually, the tax identification number is a Social Security number. Alternatively, a business may choose to use an Employer Identification Number. If an employer is using a TIN, the business may also need to fill out a Form W-9. The W-9 is so important for your company. It helps you to record details of your customers and how much they have paid you. This information will be useful when filing your taxes. You may even need to use the form to claim a backup withholding exemption.
A W-9 is usually updated annually. You should send it in person or by courier service. Make sure the form gets to the right person. A courier service will help prevent the document from getting lost in the mail. A W-9 is a simple and important document. In fact, it is one of the most common forms a business must prepare and file for federal income tax purposes. As such, it is highly recommended that you do not hesitate to complete this important tax document.
How Do You Fill out the W-9 Form without a Subscription?
If you’re a business owner, you’ve been asked to fill out a W-9 Form at some point. Not all people are pros when it comes to filling out IRS forms. You can spend your money on something other than an online subscription for a W-9 Form. Use our instructions below to fill out a W-9 Form without a subscription:
- Line 1 and Line 2: Enter your name or business name. They must be exact ones as you file your taxes. Enter your SSN or EIN ( Depending on which one you use ).
- Line 3: Check the appropriate box in line 3. An individual, a sole proprietorship, or A single-member limited liability company (LLC) owned by an individual and disregarded for U.S. federal tax purposes.
- Line 4: Enter a number or letter code in the spaces in line 4 to indicate the reason for an exemption. Don’t fill in line 4 if you are an individual.
- Lines 5 and 6: Enter your main address for your business here. This address should be the one to which the requester of Form W-9 should mail your information return (1099) if you are supposed to receive one.
- Line 7: Optional. The account number means it would also be your City-Parish vendor number.