Social Security Name Change Application

If you changed your name due to marriage, divorce, court order, or any other reason, you can apply for a name change. Social Security name change application can be done within minutes. All you need to know is the required documents for this.

Here is what you need when applying for a Social Security name change:

Proof of identity.

Proof of U.S. citizenship or lawful noncitizen status.

If you’re a U.S. citizen, you can have your birth certificate or passport as proof of citizenship. As for proving your identity, as simple as a driver’s license is enough. This is for noncitizens though. Since your U.S. passport is going to be enough for identity verification, there isn’t a need for additional documents for both citizenship and identity.

All you need other than these is proof of name change. You can provide your:

  • Certification of Naturalization that shows your new name
  • Court order proves the name change
  • Divorce decree
  • Marriage certificate

Also, you must have an identity document that shows your old name. Social Security Administration accepts expired documents under your prior name. So, the document(s) that shows your prior name doesn’t need to be current.

How to apply for a name change?

To get a changed Social Security Card, you must apply for a new one. There isn’t a separate application for a Social Security Card for a name change. Gather your documents that prove your citizenship or noncitizen status, identity, and proof of name change.

Then, you can fill out a new Application for a Social Security Card mail it. Start filling out the application form online.

You can also take your application to a local Social Security to submit your application. If you go to a local Social Security Office, your application shouldn’t take so long to be completed. For mailed applications, you can expect to pay about a week.

As for where to mail your Application for a Social Security Card, mail it to the Social Security office that serves your area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button