Form I9, Employment Eligibility Verification is the mandatory USCIS form that every employee needs to file regardless of their citizenship status. The form verifies the identity of the employee and ensures that they have the authorization to work in the United States.
Form I9 is filed within three days of the hire. An employee can work without Form I9 stored in the personnel files by the employer for up to three days from the employment starts. If the employee doesn’t file Form I9, both the employer and the employee may be subject to late filing penalties. Because Form I9 isn’t sent to a government agency, this becomes an issue only during an inspection by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Generally, the inspections are made with the ICE (Immigrations and Customs Enforcement) to ensure that illegal workers are caught.
Fill out printable I9 Form
You can fill out a printable Form I9 from above. Form I9 is a simple document that’s only a single page for both employees and employers. If you’re an employer, you can fill out Form I9 once and only enter the date of filing for when the employee furnishes you with their complete Form I9.
It doesn’t take much to file Form I9, but you may need instructions to file it. See the instructions to file I9 Form 2022.
How to download my complete I9 Form?
Our TaxUni PDF filer works easily and is simple to use, where you can enter your information and download it as a PDF file to print out a paper copy. On the top right corner of the form, click Save, and you’ll have your I9 downloaded to your files. You can then print the document to furnish your employer in person or by e-mail.
Accepted I9 Form Documents
Present the following documents to verify identity and work authorization at the same time.
- US Passport Book or Passport Card
- Greencard (Permanent Resident Card)
- Foreign passport with I-551 stamp
- Employment Authorization Document with a photograph (I-766)
- FSM (Federal States of Micronesia) Passport Book or Passport Card
Present the following documents to verify identity only.
- Driver’s License
- Canadian Driver’s License
- Federal, State, or Local ID Card
- School ID Card with photograph
- Voter’s Registration Card
- US Military Card
- Military Dependent’s ID Card
- US Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
- Native American Tribal Document
Present the following documents to verify work authorization only.
- Social Security Account Number Card
- Certification of Birth issued by the Department of State
- Original or Certified Copy of Birth Certificate issued by State, County, or Municipal Authority.
- Native American Tribal Document
- US Citizen ID Card (I-197)
- Identification Card for use of Resident Citizen in the US (I-179)
- Employment Authorization Document issued by the Department of Homeland Security
Take note that your employer will need photocopies of these documents to attach to your I9 Form and keep them in the personnel files. This is for verification purposes in case the USCIS inspects the workplace.
Frequently asked questions about Form I9
What is the purpose of Form I9?
Form I9 is used for verifying an employee’s identity and authorization to work in the United States of America. Even US citizens who were born in the country are required to file this form to ensure that they are allowed to work. It’s also used as means to verify the identity of the employee to prevent identity theft.
When did Form I9 start?
Form I9 was first introduced on November 6, 1986, to get in the way of illegal workers. Employers who begin their employment from the date the form was introduced are required to file Form I9 and present documents that establish their identity and work authorization.
Where can I get Form I9?
Get Form I9 from the above image. You’ll be redirected to our PDF filer to where you can enter your information in the boxes and save it as a PDF file to further print out a paper copy or store it as a digital copy.
How to complete Form I9?
Form I9 doesn’t take much to complete. It’s a simple enough document that even first-timers can file without a hassle. If you run into trouble or don’t understand what to enter, you can always read the instructions to get help.